Sunday, May 10, 2009

Catching up

I have been super busy lately. My job is actually becoming something that I can call a job. I am averaging about 15 hours of work each week and that is significant when you consider that Chris is gone for 12 hours every day and I sleep for 9 (usually). Fortunately, Rhys sleeps for about 4 hours every day and Cole sleeps for 2. I am managing to get work time in and *usually* can get laundry done and a meal cooked for dinner every day. I had a hard deadline last week so I have been working more hours lately but don't expect it to be so much on a regular basis. This week shouldn't be quite as taxing and I plan to get some big projects tackled around the house.

The garden is thriving and I am thrilled. I need to rake up old grass and weeds and line the garden and lawn with mulch. I also want to get some touch-up painting done around the house and do a thorough cleaning. We are hosting the Brits on Saturday and that is a really great excuse to get through some of these projects.

I joined a gym on Friday (Big Vanilla http://www.bigvanilla.com/pasadena/) and am really excited about going regularly. It will get Cole accustomed to being left and picked up - to prepare him for preschool. It will also give Rhys an opportunity to learn this valuable lesson before he gets the same abandonment complex that haunts poor Cole. I have been reminding Cole all weekend that he will be playing in the Kid's Club on Monday without me. He DOES NOT like the idea and tells me that he doesn't want to. I have explained that it isn't his choice but it is time for him to play with new people and new toys without mommy. Kid's Club...not Mom's Club. The gym is beautiful and peaceful. The kid's club is spacious and fun. There is even a pool (a baby pool, lazy pool, and lap pool) - covered in winter, uncovered in summer with a play ground just next to it. I can let Rhys have time in Kid's Club while I help Cole learn how to swim in the big pool.

I am really looking forward to having this as a place for us all to go and enjoy time apart and together.

This has been a lovely Mother's Day. I had breakfast in bed and my lovely boys gave me some Bert's Bees bath goodies and an iPod Nano for my gym-going entertainment. I was so surprised! I never even though about getting one and am excited to have it. After Rhys had his morning nap, we took the boys to the National Zoo in DC. We picked up some fried chicken on the way and had a picnic and pushed and pulled the boys all over. We only saw the highlights - Pandas, Gorillas, lions, tigers, bears...we all were tired and ready to go at the same time. We were home by 3. I filled up the paddling pool in the back and let the boys play for a while. They had baths, dinner and played before bed. Cole is to head that way soon and I am going to get showered and changed. The week will be full and busy - productive and new. I am excited about the gym, garden, and house improvements that we will see come next week.

No comments: