Monday, October 12, 2009

Being Good

In my last post, I mentioned that rewards for good behavior are often ingestible. I use the broad term because I doubt that sugary novelties can be categorized as food. We reward the consumption of veggies with the promise of a small ice cream sandwich for the boys but we usually restrict empty calories and try to keep processed food at a minimum - though convenience is such a positive concept; too bad that when it comes to food it is such a bad thing!

Dolling out treats for being good seems so natural but as an adult, being good usually means that I spent the day avoiding treats and snacks. Chris and I are both trying to cool it with the extra calories and we often spend the first part of the evening justifying the extra helping of supper with the usual: "I was good today, I didn't snack" conversation. When did being good change from a behavior that warranted a treat to the act of avoiding a treat?

Maybe I should be good and spend more time in the gym too!

No comments: