Monday, October 12, 2009

Reinforcement and Reward

When I was a little girl, being good meant that I listened to what I was told, did what I was told to do, and excelled in the things that were expected of me (like school). My father always said that you either work or you go to school as long as you lived under his roof...no laying around without purpose in his house! I feel the same way. I want my children to do as they are told, listen to their parents and excel at their commitments...be it school or sports or work. It isn't too much to ask for.

Rewards for being good when I was a kid haven't changed too much. Food is a universal reward, though I do try to avoid it as much as possible as an adult and parent. We have a special bin of toys that the kids have never seen. They are little cars and trains that my dear friend, Deb -shout out to Deb - gave us when her son grew tired of them. I call it the super secret special bin and it only reveals itself to me when the boys have been good. I emerge from my room with a special new toy or one is left on the table to be discovered at breakfast.

The fairies control the bin and my hands are tied (translation: no amount of begging, pleading, or promising to be good will make it appear). So far, it has been an okay tool for rewarding good behavior and keeping Cole on track. Sometimes, however, he just insists on flaunting his little 3 year old free will and standing his shaky ground. Last night, he planted his feet firmly on the floor and refused to walk himself to his room. Needless to say, no treats of any sort will be revealed to him today! He has been somewhat saintly today so far and I may lift a restriction after nap - but only if he has been good.

No comments: