Monday, July 19, 2010

Hospitalized!

This post will serve as a full explanation of how we got here for everyone concerned about Cole's condition. Over the past 12 months, Cole has had upper respiratory infections that have led or nearly led to pneumonia. Chris and I have learned to spot the signs that require doctor visits. We try our best to catch his colds early enough so they don't progress this far.

Sadly, we have come to realize that we can't do that anymore. Friday afternoon, he had a stuffy nose and said that his throat hurt. I gave him some allergy medicine. Saturday after his nap, he needed a breathing treatment. Saturday night, I couldn't sleep fearing his oxygen levels were low. I brought him to bed with me and listened all night as he coughed and struggled to breathe.

Sunday morning, I took him to Patient First and after 1 Albuterol treatment they sent us to the ER. We stayed in the ER from 10:30am until 6:30pm. He was given 3 Hospital Albuterol treatments back to back and didn't show ANY improvement. He was also given an oral steroid. After that didn't work, he sat for 3 hours on a continuous albuterol treatment. I say that he sat but that isn't true...he is a 4 year old boy, after all. Anyway, I knew that we had to stay for an hour after every hour of treatment so I was already mentally prepared to be there for 6 hours (between the original treatments and the 3 hour treatment). After 1.5 hours of the 3 hour treatment, he still was showing no sign of improvement and we were told then that we won a night time stay. Yippee (dripping with sarcasm).

We kept that treatment going and made our way through the day with a mid-afternoon visit from Daddy and Rhys bearing gifts of new PSP games, movies, a Happy Meal, books, toys, and a pillow pet. After that visit, we continued with treatments and monitoring, playing games, and fending off the frustration and boredom that goes with a visit to the ER. At one point, he pulled off the mask and unplugged his finger from the monitor, threw it all down and said, "That's it, I'm outta here!" Chris came back with dinner and supplies for our stay around 6:30 and we were moved to the room, ate, and got settled in.

Overnight, Cole received breathing treatments every 2 hours and had his vitals monitored throughout the night. I slept on one of the reclining chairs and am thankful that I have a husband who will relieve me tonight if he has to stay another night.

I was hopeful when we woke up that we would probably go home today but that changed after the last respiratory therapist came in and said that he was still too congested to say if we would be able to see enough improvement in him today. I am sad for him, frustrated for him, and tired with him.

Our plan after he was sick in late June was to ask for a referral to a specialist from the Pediatrician. Unfortunately, he wasn't well long enough to go back for a follow-up. That will come soon, though.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Jenny, thinking about you guys! I remember our time int he hospital with Owen in January...those were the longest and draining days. Praying that Cole is well soon, and that you both get some rest!