I just thought it was time for me to do a "check from the neck up" as my old boss used to say. I have been working and commuting for over a month now and I really love it. I love the people I work with and for. I love the time I have with them in the office. I don't mind the quiet early morning drive in or the afternoon drive home - although I am so eager to see my boys that I feel like I am not being a safe driver. At some point, I have to find peace in the situation and know that it could take less than an hour, it could take closer to 90 minutes...either way, I will arrive safely at the sitter's house as long as I am driving SAFELY!
The weather has been strange. It has been too hot to be outside and now that the temperature is more reasonable, we are having afternoon and evening thunderstorms which saturate the ground and playground equipment so the park is out of question and the moisture in the air is so thick, it is like a bathroom after you take a shower. EEK and YUCK. When the air quality is poor, we can't be outside anyway because of Cole's asthma.
My garden has been loving it and hating it all at the same time. Loving the heat and rain...hating the wind. This morning I found my forest of tomato plants in a heap. I negotiated my way to the end where I could right some of the support posts and connect them to the cucumber/bean support and I installed a tomato cage at the opposite end for the edge of the mound to rest on. At this point, if I mess with it anymore, most of my green tomatoes will fall on the ground or I will break branches. They will just have to do their best on their own. Next year, I will build a structural support before the plants go into the ground. I am thinking re bar supports connected with wire so I don't have to worry about warping wooden supports.
At any rate, there is always the farm market and farmer's markets. I went on Saturday to Papa John's Farm and bought some zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, patty pan squash, watermelon, tomatoes, and purple bell peppers. With some of the veggies, I made gazpacho and tonight I am roasting a bunch of veggies that have been marinating in pesto seasoning all afternoon.
This healthy eating brings me to the next subject. I haven't felt quite like myself lately and it could be the "vacation" eating and celebrating that has been going on lately. Becky (my younger sister) and her family visited last week and we went to/hosted 4 parties from Friday night to Sunday night. From hotdogs, to hamburgers, to pork BBQ, and steamed crabs with kielbasa...I think I ate about 2 pints of salt. That, of course, was chased by more adult beverages than I want to recount.
We are giving our hearts and livers a break by eating fresh, healthy, and alcohol free for the next few weeks (at least). I took the boys to the gym with me this morning and pounded out over 400 calories before heading home. Tomorrow we will be at the gym again and if the weather holds out, we will be hitting the pool afterwards.
Life is good but small annoyances put me in a foul mood. I do try to keep it all in perspective but sometimes...well, you know the rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment