I am dedicating this entire post to Rhys Alexander Harding - I am sure that when this ends up in the Internet cache, he will appreciate it 15 years from now as a Senior in High School when a tech savvy buddy finds it and publishes it to the school population. This is how my mind thinks, by the way.
Rhys is nearing 27 months old and is "brilliant" according to his speech therapist. He is really smart and coming along with this speech. He recognizes some numbers and letters and can fill in the blanks during the alphabet song. I work with him every day on the alphabet and hope that he can get caught up as his speech continues to improve.
I have to say he is brilliant too because he is potty training himself. That is a true statement since Chris and I only reward him and gently remind him that he may need to go. He usually doesn't take our suggestion but he has only had 5 accidents in the month that we have been letting him call the shots. Basically, I ask him if he wants a diaper, big boy underpants, or nothing at all when we are at home. He usually goes "commando" but today, he chose underpants. He has been in underpants for almost 4 hours straight and they are still dry. He occasionally tells me that he has to go but usually just tootles off on his own and takes care of his own business. BRILLIANT!
I am expecting the bad potty training challenges to come along but I hope that we all keep cool heads about it and don't create a potty monster in the process. Here's hoping!
"NO!" is his very favorite word to exercise. "Why?" comes in a close second. Here are some examples:
Me: "Do you want something to eat?"
Rhys: "No!"
Me: "Okay, do you want a drink?"
Rhys: "No, un't eat...Mama, cup'juice?" (translation: "No, I want to eat...Mama, can I have a cup of juice?")
Me: "ugh."
Rhys: "Un't go Mommy car." (translation: "I want to go in Mommy's car")
Me: "We will go in Mommy's car in just a minute."
Rhys: "Why?"
Me: "ugh."
We love to hear him say "wook at dat" because it is just too cute. I also think it is really cute that he tells us the he loves us but he just says, "Mama", reaching his arms out as wide as they go, "this much". He also asks to snuggle and gives affection when he is really happy about something. His unenthusiastic but well timed "yea" always makes us laugh too.
He loves to play outside and in the big pool at the gym. Unfortunately, no swim diapers are allowed so I struggle with letting him play along the water's edge (they have a gentle slope leading into the pool like a beach with fountains spouting up along the side) without letting him get in all the way. So far, no one has said anything and he knows that if he says goodbye to diapers, he can get in all the way!
Like chalk and cheese is a way to describe Rhys and Cole. They are so very different. I often think of Jack Sprat and his wife (you know the one where he can eat no fat and his wife can eat no lean and so between them both, you see, they lick the platter clean.) Just the other day they both had fruit cups. Rhys left all of his cherries behind and Cole left all of the other fruit behind. Now, they share one fruit cup.
He is very much my baby and I will truly be sad when he is all grown up but I am proud of how far he has come and when I look into his eyes, I still see that tiny innocent baby that I held moments after he took his first breath. Clinging to that thought is hard when he is such a bugger sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment