Monday, June 7, 2010

Vacation and Back to Reality


I haven't been blogging because it is daunting to imagine documenting all of the things that we have been doing and it has gotten so out of control that I decided that it is probably best to write something and take baby steps.

Right now, Cole is experiencing a new round of separation anxiety. I am not sure why but he cries when I leave him with sitters and dreads my going when he knows it will happen. From the Kids Club at the Gym to Preschool; he just doesn't want to think about me not being there. This is really bad timing since I am starting to work away from home and he is going to be staying with a sitter at least one day each week. Otherwise, he is a normal 4 year old.

Rhys is developing his speech and delighting us every day with his new phrases and personality. "Look at that" and "look at me" are popular phrases as well as "no" and "why". He also always asks to "go mommy car".

Cole finished up Preschool a couple of weeks ago and still talks about going back to school. I am sure he will enjoy the summer and will be really ready to meet some new friends and reconnect with old ones come September.

We all (including the dog) went on vacation to Rehoboth Beach, DE for the week of Memorial Day. It was a lovely time and you can click on the picture at the top of this post to view all of the pictures.

We spent time on the boardwalk in Rehoboth, Bethany, and Ocean City. The kids played video games, rode rides, ate candy and treats, played on countless playground equipment, played in the sand and surf, collected and decorated seashells, shopped, played putt-putt, blew bubbles on the beach, flew kites, and swam in the community pool. We were there for the whole week and enjoyed every day.

The house was perfect aside from the fact that the boys had to sleep in the same bed. Fitful sleepers and sleep talkers don't make for friendly bedfellows so we eventually set up a stack of blankets for Cole to sleep on the floor in our room. That made for better attitudes and well rested Hardings.

We made it home to a grown garden and a stack of mail. This was an especially special vacation because I knew before we left that I would be heading back to an office commute on the Monday after our return.

I accepted a position at WeddingWire Inc. As their HR Manager and will be commuting on Mondays for now and will probably add another day by the end of the summer. I will also be available from home for some time as needed. This is a big change from the occasional work that I have been doing for the last 4 years. This is regular work where I am expected to be in the office. It is really different.

I must say that there is a competition for what part of the day was the best. Was it knowing that the kids were with my mom, sister, and niece and at home for my first day of work? Was it the greeting that I received from old friends and new bosses (a hug)? It could have been the "jumping back on the horse" way that I stepped back into working and in-processed 3 new employees within an hour of walking into the office and conducting an exit interview after lunch. There was also that funny moment in the sales meeting when I was introduced as the HR Manager to unsuspecting employees. Was it getting out early and beating rush hour to get home to the open arms of a 4 year old? I am not sure. It was all pretty wonderful. I know that they won't all be like this but it is nice when they are.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Congrats on the good first day!