Monday, August 31, 2009

Music influence

On Saturday morning, I decided to watch CMT music videos at the gym. It was airing on the screen that usually displays the Today show and I am a creature of habit. Anyway, I was fascinated by some of the funny lyrics and story lines of the videos themselves. I saw the one for "Toes" by Zac Brown band. As a little taste, the song starts like this: "I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand. Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand Life is good today. Life is good today. " Sounds good to me too! The next song was "Jesus take the wheel" by Carrie Underwood. I knew that one but it never fails to speak to me in many ways. I love the symbolism. After that, I kid you not, I watched in mock amazement as a band called Trailer Choir had a contest in their video for the twenty-something who was to be crowned as the best bar maiden who was "Rockin' the beer gut". The winner had a very toned mid-drift so I didn't get it. Finally, I was introduced to a beautiful singer named Sara Evans. She sang a song about a cheating boyfriend or husband who is living in an old trailer, driving a beat up car, etc. because she left him and he should have thought about all of that when he was cheating. Anyway, I got the full flavor of country music with those few songs and it was fun to experience some new versions of the old themes.

My friend, Janelle, and I went to see 500 days of Summer at the movies. It was great and had a lot of great songs in it too. We listened to the soundtrack on the way home and, once again, I was reminded of my own musical diversity.

Yesterday, we went to the Virgin Mobile Free Festival and I was there long enough to see Jet, some unknown DJ scratch out some beats, another unknown band put forth their best effort and Public Enemy remind us all that we can Fight the Power, shake our fists in the air and demand peace all while spurting out expletives and referring to the late great musicians as larger than life figures. They lost me when they called Michael Jackson the Prince of Peace - are you serious? Anyway Flavor Flav was there with the giant clock dangling from a chain around his neck and I got to see my friend, Paul recite the lyrics of many of their songs: way to go Paul! I had to leave before the headliners because I wanted to get the kids from my friend's house before it was time for them to go to bed and it was good timing because she and her husband were fighting their own bedtime battle with their boys when I got there. Rhys went straight to bed but Cole stayed up with me and enjoyed his 9:00pm happy meal while I also pigged out on junk food and settled down from my musical weekend.

No comments: