Discipline with Cole seems to be a cycle that we go through. It seems like we can be really strict, consistent, and reliable in our discipline process. We use a version of 1-2-3 Magic with him because it really does work. Unfortunately, for him really, we get lax and let the odd back-talk slip through. We ignore it when he gets out of bed when he isn't supposed to, etc. He realizes that he can get away with things and it starts to get out of hand and then we have to reign him in. When we start this process, he realizes that he can get attention from being naughty and he does even more naughty things. Then we have to remind ourselves to be swift with our punishments and not give any additional attention to the issue.
Once again, we find ourselves in the part of the cycle where we have to reign him in. This is my least favorite time. This morning I started fresh and, though I prepared him for it last night, he has spent a lot of time in time-out. I do hope that he catches on and this doesn't go on for very long. I am sure that it is hard for him to realize why we call him down so often. Believe me, it isn't something that I enjoy doing but I won't stand for his disrespectful back-talk and his complete disregard for our direction and requests...phew. I guess no one ever said it would be easy.
No comments:
Post a Comment