"I am the church, you are the church, we are the church together." I haven't been a church for a while now and last week I was being dragged to church. The Spirit was calling me and I finally listened and took the boys. Chris hasn't been into it and that is okay with me. The boys enjoyed it and I enjoyed the service and peace of not having laundry, dirty dishes, meals to cook, or children to watch for 1 single hour of the week. We all enjoyed it so much that when I felt the tug again this morning, we went again. This time, I took the boys into the sanctuary with me until the Children's Moments - when they went down to the front of the church for a lesson and then went back to Sunday School. The children's choir sang which was also a treat for Cole and Rhys.
While Cole was fidgeting on the pew, I couldn't help but remember the red velvet pew covers in the sanctuary that my family worshipped in when I was a little girl. It is now the chapel building because a giant sanctuary was built when I was in high school. The tiny chapel was truly a sanctuary for me. I would sit, be reminded not to put my feet on the back of the pew in front of me by my ever vigilant mother, stand when the hymns were sung, learned The Lord's Prayer and the Apostle's Creed, and brushed my hand against the grain of that red velvet over and over - dark red, light red, dark red, light red, thin lines of each with the tips of my fingers and then a brush of the side of my hand. As I grew more independent, I also served as acolyte and sang in the choir, attended Sunday School, and went to sleep-away camp.
Church was something that my mother got us ready for and dragged us to every Sunday. I really didn't like going but I liked it when I had gone. I hope my children like going. At least for now, I ask if Cole wants to go and he says, "yes". For now, I am saying "yes" too and believe that, once again, I can be a church together with my family.
Today's service was particularly uplifting when the Pastor led us all in a choral "Amen" at the closing of a hymn. I miss that and wish the Methodist Hymnal had never removed them. We also sang my very favorite hymn, "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling". It all reminded me of when I was a girl and allowed me to refocus on what is truly important.
No comments:
Post a Comment