Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wet and Wild

Sometimes you really do lose sight of the big picture when things start to fall apart around your house. When I think of everything separately, each one is manageable but when I consider them all at the same time, I start feeling like our house is falling apart.

Example #1 During the snow storm, we had a leak in the ceiling downstairs that we determined was the line from the refrigerator ice maker. No biggie...we will just find the shut-off valve and turn it off and then put in a new line. The shut off valve had covered with a ceiling and couldn't be reached from the laundry room so Chris put a hole in the ceiling in the basement. As a result of some careful calculations on the part of our friend Scott (aka Doodle) and Chris, the hole is very small. The new line is yet to go in but will soon.

Example #2 Just before Christmas, I noticed that when my washing machine was overloaded, a very small puddle of water would pool just under the front of the machine. It would happen during the rinse cycle. I figured it was just water splashing up when it was spinning and spraying water. No biggie...I will just make sure that I don't overload it. For a while, that worked and only occasionally would I see water. Last week, it started pooling every time with every load and more water. I called and scheduled someone to come and have a look this Friday.

Example #3 On Sunday, Chris went up to the attic to take Rhys' crib up and noticed mold. Green mold all over the ceiling of the attic. Just before Christmas when we had a lot of snow, we noticed condensation on the ceiling in the attic but it dried up and went away when the snow melted. This last round of snow stayed far too long and we have now developed mold. We are in good company around here since so many people had the same conditions, it is only mild consolation, though. We have hired a Mold Remediation company and they will be here on Thursday and Friday to remove all of our belongings, clean them and the attic and encapsulate the ceiling and joists so it doesn't happen again.

So, in summary:

Water, water everywhere and now I need a drink.

No comments: