Thursday, February 12, 2009

One of the fun ones

I don't know about the general readers of my blog but my favorite entries are the ones that are full of the things that the boys are doing and saying (as it pertains to Cole as Rhys still says abba dabba abba babba). Here are some quips.

In the pee pee tee pee:
Cole is still doing really well with potty training - although he thinks that when he is done there will actually be a train to ride (potty training)...how do you truly explain the nuances of the English language to a 2 year old?

Yesterday, he had a milestone: He peed in the woods. We got to my friend's house for a play date before she got home and he needed to pee. I told him that it is okay to pee outside when mommy says so. He looked at me and said, "Mom, it is NOT okay." I laughed and when he finally felt it was absolutely necessary to go RIGHT NOW, he said, "I think I can pee outside, mom". I took him over to an isolated area near the treeline and told him to wet the leaves. He did a great job and Rhys was fascinated. He didn't get any on anything but the ground.

Today, unfortunately, he did have an accident and I don't want to dwell on it but I can just say that it involved a puddle in a friend's living room and the subsequent borrowing of clothes for Cole. Thank goodness for good friends who have seen it and experienced it all.

Last night, Cole was on the potty - stalling before bedtime. I monitored his progress from the door and as he sat there, he looked up at me very nonchalant said, "Those are some cool pajamas you got there." - no comment

Bedtime stories:
We struggle to keep Cole in bed at night. My theory is that he just wants to hang out with Chris and I but either way, bedtime is bedtime and we don't budge.

A few nights ago, Chris told Cole that it was time to go to sleep and asked him if he was going to stay in bed and Cole said, "No". Chris asked, "No?" Cole responded, "I'm probably going to get out of bed."

I have taken to making up stories for Cole and he really enjoys them but has started demanding a story and giving us the characters and plot lines. Chris was putting him to bed and managed to get Cole to tell the story by asking him questions. The basic story went like this: Cole was riding a tractor around the farm, planting corn and weeds. He also fed the cows corn and gave the pigs mud.

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
My mother always said that we were cruisin' for a bruisin' or aching for a breaking when we did something mildly amusing but naughty. In this instance, I am using the title to describe Rhys' mobility at the minute.

Rhys is cruising around the furniture and any object he can latch on to. As a result of Cole's obsession with all things on wheels, we have a lot of ride on toys and big things on wheels in our basement.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of our hospitality, we have a large basement living space that is divided into three separate areas. The carpeted areas include an alcove play area where all of the toys and the play kitchen live, and a central seating area with the fireplace and television. Behind the loveseat in the back of the room, is a hard floor where we have the ride-on toys and the computer desk.

Rhys loves things with wheels and usually tries to cruise along the back of the basement, on the hard floor, being pulled by the forward momentum behind a shopping cart or coupe. This practice usually ends in tears since the floor is basically concrete covered in laminate flooring.

And we laughed and laughed:
Rhys plays peekaboo and his favorite is having a cloth to pull over his own face and wait for you to say, "Where's Rhys?" He pulls it down and laughs so much!

He REALLY loves to throw things - balls are his favorite because they bounce but really, anything at all that can be tossed is liable to be thrown.

Rhys also really adores his big brother and no one can make him laugh quite as easily as Cole does. From spitting water in the bathtub to slapping the table at dinner time. Somehow Rhys knows how funny bad behavior can be.

I may be gushing but I am really so proud of both of my boys and cannot wait to see how both of them grow into men.

No comments: