Cole is in the habit of showering with me in the mornings, a tradition that I will end soon for the obvious reasons, and when we are all done cleaning ourselves, I let him play with the shower head while I blow dry my hair. I cringe at the waste of water every time but let it go since it doesn't happen every day. Anyway, this morning, Rhys woke up from his nap while I was drying my hair so I brought him into our room to dress him while Cole was still in the shower. Cole called to me to come see something but I assumed it was a newly discovered bruise on his shin so I told him I would be there in a second. When I pulled back the curtain, it looked like a scene from Psycho. Cole had shaved his bottom lip with my razor. Now, I accept the blame here for having left my razor within reach -- bad mommy -- but at the same time, he knows it is what we refer to as a "big ouchy" and that he is not to play with it. Nevertheless, now he now knows why.
I was more angry than anything because I knew it would take a while for the bleeding to stop, Rhys was screaming, I got blood on the shirt that I had just put on, and Cole wouldn't keep the towel on his lip. I was so frustrated with him but kept breathing and stayed calm. Meanwhile, Rhys wondered into the bathroom, unrolled the toilet paper and started eating a bar of soap. I couldn't win for losing. I had to re-dress Rhys because he got wet from the bathroom floor. I managed to get us all ready to leave - finally.
As I recounted this story to Chris, he just shook his head. I have had some not-so-pleasant experiences with the kids lately but this is the first one that was completely avoidable and all my fault. I was negligent and, jokingly, asked Chris to please not take the kids away from me. We all get distracted and while Cole did come away with an injury, we did get lucky. A razor isn't something to take lightly. He could have really hurt himself and I am grateful that I got a shot across my bow to remind me to be more diligent.
No comments:
Post a Comment