Sunday, December 6, 2009

England

I am quite determined to avoid a lengthy post about our trip to England. While I know people are interested and I want to create an entry about it, I just don't think there is too much to say, at the end of the day. It was wonderful and relaxing - very low-key. I will give highlights and let pictures speak for the trip.

  • We left on Wednesday and the preparations and planning on how we would negotiate 5 bags, 4 carry-ons, 2 car seats, and 2 children was about to play out. We ended up parking in short-term parking, getting everyone checked in for the flight along with the checked luggage and Chris took the car to long-term parking while I camped out with the boys and our carry-on luggage. Cole was a gem on the flight but Rhys refused to sit in the baby seat and insisted on sitting on me for the entire flight. He was burning with fever and I was miserable.
  • We landed in London, went through immigration, collected our luggage, went through customs and found a place for me to park with the kids while Chris went to get the rental car. An hour later, my lovely and talented husband had found a parking garage close to where we were hanging out. I was amazed since he hadn't driven in the UK for 8 years and the airport is the size of a small city - I also don't know how he managed to find just the right parking garage - but he did.
  • We drove for 4 hours to Middlesbrough (Cole slept for most the entire time. Rhys slept for 15 minutes at a time crying for me between his naps) and fell into the welcoming arms of Nanna and Grandad and proceeded to be taken care of for 2 glorious weeks.
  • It rained. It poured, and it was cold. We, thankfully, took advantage of a sunny day and drove to Whitby - a seaside town that is a favorite of mine and Chirs'
  • Chris and I left the boys with Nanna and Grandad for 2 nights while we went the the Lake District about 2 hours north west from Middlesbrough. It was beautiful and I found a new appreciation for the force of nature. It rained buckets, almost constantly. People lost lives and homes in a flood that was said to be the worst in 1000 years.
  • Chris' Dad ordered a turkey for Thanksgiving from a butcher and when Chris and I got back to Middlesbrough, I made the sides and we had a US Thanksgiving in the UK. I love my in-laws for understanding how important my own traditions are.
  • We celebrated Christmas with the Hardings on Sunday. The boys were so excited to unwrap all of their gifts. It is hard to keep it all in perspective when children are so young and truly see gifts as a pirate sees booty. We shall do our best to instill the qualities that will make our children generous and thankful. I am not sure I will see those qualities so much this year, though.
  • We drove to Slough on Tuesday to spend the night before our Wednesday morning flight home. We checked into our hotel and as luck would have it, the train station was in the adjacent parking lot. We freshened up and got the boys on the train to Windsor for dinner at an Italian restaurant in the shadow of the Castle. What a great way to end the trip!
  • Wednesday was a 29 hour day for us with the time difference and Chris and I packed, lugged, queued, and entertained children for every single minute of it. He took Rhys on this leg of the trip and suffered under his hand similarly as I had on the trip going. I drove us home after Chris retrieved the car and that drive in - yes, rain - and rush hour from DC took 2 hours.
We had a lovely time and now are glad to be home to decorate and get ready for Christmas! Bring it!
Feeding the ducks at Stewart Park - near Chris' parent's house
Highland Cow
Chris with the boys and his Mam
Whitby

Statue in his Christmas Finest - Whitby



Lake District

Travellers Rest Inn - where we stayed in Grasmere

Another shot of the Inn

Thanksgiving in the UK
Eggs for Sale - see them as Deviled above

Flooding in the Lakes

more Lakes

Sheep below our window at the Travellers Rest Inn


Christmas in the UK

Rhys in his Christmas Hat


Snuggling with the boys

Rhys holding his train ticket on the train to Windsor
Cole on the train to Windsor

No comments: