Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

I didn't create an entry yesterday because I was so busy all day. I intentionally let Cole skip his nap because we really wanted him to go to sleep. When Rhys went down for his first nap, Cole and I wrapped the gifts for Chris and Rhys. I also made cards for Chris from both Cole and Rhys and after lunch we baked cookies for Santa, baked a cake for Christmas Eve dessert (pound cake with cranberries and an orange glaze), and baked biscuits for neighbors. I packaged up the biscuits and delivered them. We ended up visiting with our neighbors next door for a while and came home around 3. I put a chicken in the oven to roast and made some side dishes. By that time, Chris came home and we tidied up the house a little before Janelle and Scott came over for dinner. After dinner, Janelle read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to Cole and Rhys and we put Cole to bed. Cole went straight to sleep and was out cold - thankfully.
We all worked feverishly as Santa's helpers and finally made it to bed at 10:30 or so. I read and managed to get to sleep just before 11. The baby woke me up soon thereafter and then again at 5:30. Cole got up to potty at 6:30 and I wanted to make sure that he didn't go downstairs without us so I got up then too. Chris was right behind me and we went down together - I ran ahead and took video of Cole discovering his toys.
He was really excited and plowed through his toys quickly. As you can see by this photo, he played with everything immediately! He was also quite insistent that Daddy unwrap the surprise we wrapped for him yesterday (a Transformers robot battle set). Rhys came around just after 7:30 while I was putting the Monkey bread in the oven. I, again, rushed downstairs to get a video of Rhys discovering his toys. He was still waking up so he was a bit dazed but still so cute.
We ate Monkey Bread and fed Rhys his breakfast in a seat downstairs while Cole watched his new video and made it through his mountain of new toys. After breakfast, I started putting together lunch (I made a ham that I added a crust of ginger bread cookie crumbs, butter, brown sugar and brandy to, scalloped potatoes, peas and carrots, and buttered corn) The weather was so beautiful that after we had a video chat with Nana and Grandad in England, I took Cole outside to ride his new scooter while lunch cooked. I was in and out checking on lunch and moved the cars to block the driveway so he had the yard and drive to play in.
We came in and enjoyed lunch - it was a really nice meal and peaceful. After lunch, we let the boys play for a few minutes before nap time. I was graced with a perfect afternoon nap where I was able to rest completely and wake up refreshed - this is such a rare event, it seemed like it was a gift in and of itself. Cole joined me in bed for the last 20 minutes or so and when we both came around, he asked me to put the television on. I did and he suddenly realized that it was still Christmas and promptly excused himself downstairs to play with his toys again.
Chris and I cleaned up the dishes from lunch and I made grilled cheese sandwiches for Cole and Chris for dinner while Chris fed Rhys. While I was cleaning, I made room for my new food saver that I got from my parents. We had a video chat with my sister Becky and her husband Charlie and daughter Emma Grace. It was really a perfect day - good food, good times, laughter, cheer, and family.
I don't want to focus on the gifts that we received because the "things" aren't what stand out in my memory of the day. I think of how my children both were caught up in the magic (even Rhys seemed to know that it was a special day). I also think about how nice our meal was together and how much I enjoyed the time in the kitchen. Finally, I think of the beautiful weather - the blanket of soft clouds with a pink glow flowing across the sky early this morning - and the nice sunny late morning when Cole was enjoying his new toy and just being outside. I am really thankful for the lovely gifts that my generous family gave to me but I am so much more thankful for those people who think enough about me to give me something and I feel blessed, for sure.
After the kitchen was clean, I donned my new workout clothes and took the dog for a walk/run. The air was cool and I enjoyed the quiet of the streets. I could hear the distant murmur of people gathering for Christmas behind the doors and I enjoyed the light displays that I passed along my route. The wonderful feeling of the day kept me warm from my heart throughout my whole body. What a perfect day. Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

1 comment:

Kate said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! Merry Christmas!