Saturday, July 11, 2009

Eating Local

In late winter, my friend Jessica introduced me to a Barbara Kingsolver, et. al. book entitled "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and I was hooked once again on gardening and farmers markets and eating local. I know this will fall a bit by the wayside come winter because I am just not that hard core about it but I love knowing that the food I am eating didn't travel far to get to my mouth from the ground and that the money that I paid for it helps the farmer down the street. The farmer then buys other stuff that eventually helps us all! I get my CSA share on Thursdays and go to a farmers market on Wednesday. Come Tuesday night, I am ready to go to the farmers market again. I rarely buy veggies at the store and since the meat truck was at the farmers market this week, I didn't even get meat at the store! Something in me doesn't want to mix store-bought stuff with local stuff so I try to make meals that consist of only one, if possible. This was our Locavore meal on Wednesday night.

Herbivore
Carnivore

Locavore
Chris even picked up some local wine from Boordy Vineyards. Yum

No comments: