Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The real diet secret

So, I believe that I have unraveled the truth behind our behinds and the surplus thereof. Since the first time your favorite jeans betrayed you and forced some of your own flesh to escape around the top, you all have been wanting to know the secret of losing weight. Well, we have heard it all before: reduce your calories, burn more than you are taking in, healthy diet, exercise, all things in moderation.

Well, the secret is that what works universally will always be a secret. While all of our bodies do work in similar ways, some people just hang on to fat more than others. I believe that I would have withstood the harshest ice age winters because my body stores what it can and if I start limiting what I provide myself for fuel, it just starts hoarding all of the fat it can get it's sausage-like fingers on.

So, I have found that just limiting calories isn't enough. I have to make sure that I get most of my calories from lean protein since all that work on the treadmill and elliptical machine will only burn carbs and not even make a dent in the muffin top that my jeans continue to create. Burning calories isn't enough either! My heart rate has to be in the "fat burning zone" to burn fat and not carbs. PHEW! No wonder, it is all a mystery. Real weight loss isn't simple. Our bodies reflect our lifestyle - something that I have said before. Now that I am trying to keep my heart rate elevated for a period every day and I am beginning to take in more lean protein and less simple carbohydrates, I hope to start seeing some real change on the scale and in the mirror.

Forget bathing suit season - jean season is right around the corner!

No comments: