Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I am not an evergreen

Hooray for me! I was out again this morning with the dog and managed to hit the road just before 7. The bed was snugly and warm but I managed to drag myself out of it. Cole interrupted my slumber just before 6 when his diaper sprung a leak. Instead of changing his bed, I invited him to come to bed with us. I SHOULD have gone out then but it was still dark out and I couldn't be motivated enough to fight the urge so I huddled under the covers until the baby started to stir. I could hear my sneakers crying for me even louder and Sasha met me at the bottom of the stairs. We walk/jogged for about a mile and I am so proud of myself for doing it.

These walks give me some good time to meditate and I am finding the quiet voice inside me again. This voice gets silenced by the external voice of my toddler and the ongoing demands from my infant. This morning I mulled over the idea that any day can be the day that changes your life forever. I could find a winning lottery ticket today. That would surely change things. Something terrible could happen - to me or to a member of my family. Something wonderful could happen too! Carpe Diem and all that. These are things that I know - things we all know. I just reflected on this again this morning and am once again vowing to make the most of the days I am given and follow my new motto: "If you can, do." If I have the legs to walk, I will walk. If I have the means, I should do.

I can see the leaves starting to change and sport their autumn colors. The evergreens are stubbornly staying the same. If I were a tree, I would be a maple tree. They are useful, leave a sweet taste in your mouth, and their fall color is so brilliant. Like the maple, I am changing now too. I can feel it from my roots to my branches.

Cole is potty training again and seems to be responding to it well. We have had some accidents already this morning but I am prepared for them and he seems to be catching on. Here's hoping it sticks this time. I am ready and I think he is too.

No comments: