As a general update; the two big boys are still sick. Cole needs medication to keep the cough under control and Chris is down for the count. I encouraged him to take NyQuil during the day and just sleep...that is where he is. Cole is also taking a good nap and I hope that when he gets up tomorrow morning, he will be better. If not, we will be going to the doctor. Rhys is pulling at his ears but it could be that he just thinks they are interesting. We will see how he is by morning too. I, on the other hand, am just fine and dandy. I was out until about 2 this morning sitting for my friend and then Cole was up just after 6. I tackled some house projects and am getting the germs out as quickly as I can. I still need to change Cole's and Rhys' bedding but otherwise, feel good about the purge.
Aside from the general stuff, I wanted to share a recent revelation that I have had. As the mother of a toddler, I knew a long time ago that I understand what he is saying when no one else does. Cole's language is so good now, I seldom have to translate even for strangers. There are some exceptions: he calls things by his own labels. Some are more obvious than others. He calls crayons, colors and he calls Second Hand Lions, the dog movie (since there are a lot of dogs in it). The pig movie is either Charlotte's Web or Babe and he thinks that Christmas is a person who is coming soon...he often asks when we are going to see Christmas.
My most recent challenges are fulfilling song requests. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am my aunt's niece and I can find song lyrics in normal conversation which prompts a spontaneous mini-karaoke episode. Recently, Cole asked me what I was cooking. Obviously, I started singing, "Hey, Good lookin' watcha got cookin' how 'bout cookin' somethin' up with me? Hey, hey, sweet baby, dontcha think maybe we could find a brand new recipe?" Well, the next day, Cole requested the recipe song. Are you kidding me? The recipe song?! I finally realized what he meant. I also started reciting "The Grand Old Duke of York". He refers to this as "The brando song." Honestly, I could be translating an ancient language without a Rosetta Stone.
This is a conversation that took place this morning. Cole asks to go to Grandma's house almost every day.
Chris: "Cole, how are you feeling today?"
Cole: "I am feeling sad."
Chris: "Why are you feeling sad?"
Cole: (sighing) "Because we aren't going to Grandma's house today"
No comments:
Post a Comment