We hosted a dance party as a MOMS Club activity today. It was fun but amounted to us playing some They Might Be Giants kids music and letting the kids play with toys. Cole was the only boy and I am sure he didn't mind one bit. I was happy to keep my friend's daughter while she got some studying in and she stayed with us through lunch. It was so nice for Cole to have a friend over and he was glad that she stayed after the other children were gone. He always hates to see his friends leave.
I feel like we are making great strides with Rhys and his sleeping and with Cole and his potty training. He stays out of diapers when we are home and has gotten into the swing of things pretty well. Today, he even pooped on the potty. I only mention this here because we have struggled with getting him to do that and this is only the third time ever he has done it and he took himself upstairs and did it all on his own. I am proud of him and he was proud of himself. The funny thing is that he insists that it looked like a pine cone. He came down and said, "I pooped and made it a pine cone!" That is noteworthy because it just is.
As for Rhys, he only woke up once last night and it was just before 2am. He went down at 8pm and finally woke around 7am. This is also noteworthy because we have struggled so long to get him to do it. For both of these things, I have concluded that we did little to influence the behavior. Cole will be potty trained when he is ready and Rhys will sleep through the night when he is ready.
Admittedly, I am a control freak and leaving these milestones up to my children has been hard. We read loads of books and seek advice from "experts" and fellow moms but, at the end of the day, our children will lead us and they will do things in their own time. Our job is to make sure that when they are ready, they are given the guidance to do it right and to be safe. Being a parent is both a journey and a destination. I am enjoying my ride and the view is beautiful from where I sit.
No comments:
Post a Comment