I am happy to say that the Saturday morning pancake tradition is securely intact at the Harding house. I managed to NOT gain the usual weekend 3 pounds. I am not sure what was different this time because I certainly ate my share of tasty bad stuff throughout the weekend but somehow managed to stave off the gain. Maybe further study is required. I will keep you posted.
Today we had a MOMS Club activity and right before we went, Cole pooped on the potty. Once again, I apologize for all of the potty talk but this is noteworthy stuff. The end of diaperdom is a HUGE step in a person's life and we are celebrating the heck out of it around here. All day, he took himself to the bathroom when the urge struck and he had a full day without diapers and without accidents. Inside, I am doing a little pee-pee dance of my own...and not because I have to go but because I am so proud of him :) Just now, he took himself in the bathroom and Chris stuck his fingers under the door. Cole shouted, "I am going pee, leave me alone!" Chris said, "I am sticking my fingers under the door like you do." Cole shouted back, "Chill out!" We are both giggling about that.
So, I learned today about a fabulous new website/web group called freecycle.org. I registered to become a member of the Pasadena, MD group and am so excited about posting things and getting free stuff! My friend, Jessica uses it and got a whole bag of boy toys that she generously shared with us today. I got three Christmas gift worthy toys for Cole and couldn't be happier about the fact that they are free and used! Purchasing items from thrift stores and consignment shops is my way of stretching the budget and reducing our impact on the environment. I try to reuse as much as possible, recycle what I can't, and generally reduce our waste. Gently used toys are the best because there is no assembly or pesky twist tie packaging to impede your ability to start playing right away!
As an incentive for Cole to poo on the potty, I bought him a matchbox car track with a car. I bought it new from the grocery store because I needed something right away. After he was successful, I pulled it out and started the assembly process that included a full page of stickers and small bits of street signs and light posts. There was even a sticker that was destined to wrap around the caution cone! Honestly, "some assembly required" is usually not an issue for me because someone else paid full price for the pleasure of assembling the toys that we ultimately get a great deal on.
I have some really impressive thrifty friends and we find ourselves sharing our most memorable great deal stories. From coupons and rebates to thrift stores and yard sales, we all have our special tricks to surviving the budget constraints of being stay at home moms. Maybe the next Secretary of Treasury should consult us on the budget. We can pinch a penny until it screams and then toss it in a piggy bank for a rainy day.
Well, that is it for the day. I am three gifts heavier and not three pounds heavier and my purse hasn't been touched!
No comments:
Post a Comment