Thursday, January 10, 2013

Keep it up

I have used this term for myself over the last week. "You can keep it up." "How long can I keep this up?" Every time I hear it or think it, I imagine myself holding up a giant boulder musing about how long I really can keep it up. This vision is disappointing because I should imagine it as a bag of air or something that I will be able to keep up forever without any fear of failure. How long can I keep up a boulder? Certainly not forever and I hope that I can change this image to myself holding up something that isn't so impossible. I want to say that it isn't a matter of keeping anything up, this is just how it is now. I have turned my back on a lifestyle of indulgence, reward food and comfort food. I am comforted by friends, family, and faith. I am rewarded with stamina to chase my kids; balance and reflexes to hike, bike, and play sports. It isn't an even trade. I am gaining so much more than I am losing. Good food is nice and I still enjoy good food. This good food is good for my body and spirit, though. This is real soul food.

No comments: